Rochester, NY asked in Small Claims for New York

Q: If I have won a settlement from 2013 and couldn’t touch my money until I was 21 how do I go about getting my money

I don’t have the claim number nor do I remember the lawyer who had my case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It sounds like your case could have been handled under an infant compromise order, a process to safeguard proceeds from a legal action where the plaintiff is a minor. You could check court records to see if anything comes up under that approach. If your parents retained any records in the form of police reports, insurance correspondence, those could also be helpful. If things fell outside formal court channels, you could discuss other options with an investigator. Congratulations on your settlement. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.