Raleigh, NC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: What is there to do after co parent has already been found in contempt & lost primary custody but still violating order?

Co-parent has been found in contempt of court and lost primary physical custody and sole legal custody of very young child for violating custody order and mostly for severely denying visitation. Immediately after, went right back to denying visitation. What can I do? What should I be requesting In court to try to put a end to this when I finally go back? And Of course Police don’t want to enforce civil matters. And court calendars are backed up by months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The only available remedies for contempt are imprisonment (for a period of up to 1 year), a fine (of up to $1500), and/or community service. However, in determining whether a parent should have custody of a child, the Family Court often considers whether each parent has complied with court orders, but that is only part of the analysis. If you wish to have primary physical and legal custody of your child, you could pursue an action to modify the existing order, but you should seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney before moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.