Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: I have been dog sitting for someone who bought the dog from me but I have been watching the dog for 6 months now.

Can I sell the dog and not give the person the money cause I had the dog for 6 months now and they can't take care of the dog.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Hiten H. Patel

A: No.

Michael Mayoral agrees with this answer

Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I agree with Mr. Patel on this. You can't sell the dog and not give the person the money because you had the dog for 6 months. Try negotiating with this person and see if they can pick up the dog or if they will give you written permission to sell it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.