Clinton, MA asked in Car Accidents for Massachusetts

Q: While driving, I was hit by another car that didn't stop at stop sign. He was not insured. My car is totaled.

My car was towed to a storage facility and I don't know who has to pay for those fees, since his supposed insurance company, GEICO, says his insurance was expired or invalid (?). I had coverage for uninsured and underinsured drivers, but that only covers bodily injury. I'm filling a claim in small claims, and gathering the documents I need. Question: can I sell the car asap since I see no point of anyone inspecting it - GEICO said they're not paying that either because he isn't insured. It's costing me a lot of money to keep it in storage. I'm in Massachusetts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Massachusetts attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. If you have to get rid of the car, you may want to consider taking photos. Your post does not mention injury, and I hope you were not injured. But if there were any injuries here and the matter needs to be adjudicated in the future, images of the vehicle could be helpful. Oftentimes in court as a general matter, vehicle photos are used as evidence to prove (or disprove by defense counsel) the type of injuries asserted before a judge or arbitrator. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.