Rochester, NY asked in Mergers & Acquisitions for New York

Q: I plan to emigrate abroad. Extended visa will come with a limited partnership in a foreign business. Allowed? How?

I hope to become a silent partner in an LLC in the state of Israel or in Great Britain, a fine art gallery. Am I allowed to do that prior to emigration? I hope to use that "work status" as the owner of a business there to obtain residency as an ex-pat. I hope to not get ripped off, to enter into a contractual agreement and to spend $10,000 investing in it. How do people go about that? What lawyer should I see in NYS to undertake the project this year? Are legal aliens allowed to own a share of a business there? What are the laws of governance concerning that? Where can I do the research? These are the many questions I have.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your post remains open for almost a week - some of the issues mentioned, such as emigration, alienage, visa, etc. could be things that an immigration attorney would have insight into. There's no guarantee that all questions are ultimately picked up, but you could try reposting with Immigration Law added as a category (and maybe Business Formation). If that doesn't yield a response, you could consider reaching out to attorneys to discuss a consult - either independently on your own or through the Find-a-Lawyer tab above. Those arrangements would be between you and the attorney. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.