Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: my brother is incarcerated- has no legal assistance $$. He needs to file a tort claim, medical negligence. Doctor

orders were to assign a bottom bunk at the facility for medical reasons. Against the doctor's orders and his protests, employees determined he was in a top bunk. He had a seizure and fell from the top bunk to the floor. He seriously injured his back, shoulder, and hit his head. He is asking me to send him a copy of a government tort claim. Where do I get a copy of the form he needs to file? Very soon, It will be 2yrs. since the accident. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There isn't really a form. But, also, a government tort claim requires notice to the state or federal government in a relatively short period of time. You need to talk to a personal injury attorney AND a civil rights attorney, since there may also be a violation of civil rights. You need to have those conversations as soon as possible. I think you may already be out of time on the torts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.