New Smyrna Beach, FL asked in Criminal Law, Banking and White Collar Crime for Michigan

Q: If I had illegally used a debit card 2015, moved to Florida what are my options if any? Statute of limitations?

I had used my mom's credit union debit card at numerous places at the end of July 2015. Over a weekend. On Monday I got on a bus to Florida to escape an abusive boyfriend and a very serious drug problem. (Heroin for almost 12 years @ 30 yrs old. I e been clean and sober since. No further issues with the law. Had another daughter and got married. I have two daughters that I unfortunately had to leave behind. It was just a matter of time before they found me dead. I want to come home! I have a LOT of past charges. Went to prison in 2006 for probation violations on the same type of crime. Only that time it was my brother's card I had used.

*And yes I left Michigan while on bond for something I can't remember what it's called but a friend I was with returned a stolen $45 backpack. I was quilty by association I guess.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Do you have pending charges? Are there warrants for your arrest? If so, then at some point you'll have to deal with each case. And if you have warrants, it's hard to say whether any of them are serious enough to extradite you, but that is a possibility that you absolutely don't want. Luck would have it that you get pulled over for something simple while doing something with your family. The police run your name and these warrants appear so they take you to jail. Then the fun begins where you are transported back to Michigan and held in jail here. That trip would likely take place in the back of a van or bus, with many unpleasant stops along the way. In short, you need to first find out if you have warrants, then hire a Michigan attorney to help you address them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.