Akron, OH asked in Trademark and Intellectual Property for Ohio

Q: If a trademark is abandoned due to failure to respond/late response, can a new owner refile and use this?

2 Lawyer Answers
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta

A: Yes you can.

But you may have lost it to somebody else in the mean time.

Consult with an attorney.

Robert Kost
Robert Kost
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA

A: If the previous owner is not still using the mark (a mark does not have to be federally registered to stop your registration), or if the trademark was not abandoned due to opposition by a 3rd party (who may turn around and oppose your use), or if no one is currently trying to register the mark (the US Patent and Trademark Office has an applications database that can tell you), you may be able to register the mark. You'll have to clear all of the hurdles the original applicant would have.

This is all online and feasible for self-help use, but I'd nevertheless recommend you have a lawyer carry this out.

Good luck,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.