Savoy, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: What do I do if my tenant leaves and blocks me without paying 6 months on the lease?

I have signed a lease with an international tenant and have his passport number. The tenant just got a job offer at a big tech company and is moving. His company offered him a lump sum for his moving needs and lease disturbance. As by the lease (and from my understanding, Illinois law), if he decided to leave the full year lease, he would need to find another tenant to replace him. Unfortunately, he has not been able to find a tenant and is likely going to move later this month. I am very nervous he is just going to cut communication with me and will stop paying the lease. I am wondering what to do if he leaves. I will not have any contact information or his new address. I am wondering if I will be able to sue him for the remaining amount or unsure of what legal actions I can take.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to immediately discuss this developing situation before it gets worse with a licensed attorney practicing in the realm of landlord tenant law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.