Pensacola, FL asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Florida

Q: I just found a old policy that my dad and mom took out in 1971 from Independent life and they both are deceased

It's a old policy didn't know that they had this my dad died in 1993 and my mom died in 2021 and I was both of their caretakers

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I just googled "Independent Life" and found that there used to be an "Independent Life and Accident Insurance Company" that was taken over by American General Life And Accident Insurance Company, and that there is an "Independent Life Insurance Company" that is a different, newer company. So if the policy was with Independent Life and Accident Insurance Company, call them to make a claim. Their website is at - and their phone no. is

1-800-888-2452. Generally, you don't need an attorney to make a claim, but you could consult one if you have any difficulty, or if you think the insurance company is wrongfully denying the claim or breaching the policy regarding the amount of compensation.

By they way, to avoid the risk of identity theft, you should not state your full name, phone no. and email address on a public forum like this. Anyone in the world, not just lawyers, can see your post. I suggest you write to the Justia Answers Team at to ask them to either remove your post or edit out that information. You can always re-post your question without including that info.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.