Saint Louis, MO asked in Contracts and Civil Rights for Missouri

Q: I live in St. Louis, Mo. I sold my home over two months ago. The house was inspected thoroughly and passed.

The new owners is having sewage problems and now wants to sue me. Am I liable for anything that happens to the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: I suggest that you have an attorney review your sale contract and seller's disclosure form, as well as any written demands from the buyers. You are liable if the buyers sue you and prove their claim or claims against you by a preponderence of the evidence. I have litigated failure-to-disclose cases for buyers. There are various causes of action that a buyer could pursue: breach of contract, violation of the Merchandising Practices Act (Missouri's consumer protection statute), and negligent or intentional misrepresention. Each cause of action has its own elements that a plaintiff must prove. I have a saying: "Ignorers get sued." Most of the failure-to-disclose cases in which I've been involved begin with the buyers' agent contacting the sellers' agent, who either ignores the communication or tells the buyers' agent to go pound sand. Then the sellers ignore my pre-litigation letter and get sued. At that point, it is much more expensive to deal with the matter than if the sellers would have hired an attorney to review the buyers' demand letter and to write a response explaining why the sellers do not believe they are liable for the post-closing problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.