Clinton, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: My divorce pays $250 alimony married for 11 years being receiving this for 12 years it states family law 11-108

So when do alimony stops my last child is 16 with child support also

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Review your judgment of absolute divorce and/or separation and property settlement ageement (if you have one) setting forth the terms of the alimony payment. Alimony can be for a definite terms, like 10 years, and then it ends, or it may be for an "indefinite" term, which means it continues until one party petitions the court to either increase it or decrease it or terminate it based upon a "change in circumstances" in the financial condition and needs of the parties. If it is indefinite, meaning there is no stated definite term or date when it ends, then in the absence of anyone filing a motion, it continues until one of the two former spouses dies, or the spouse receiving the alimony remarries. It has nothing to do with child support, which is governed by other rules. Unless agreed to otherwise, child support terminates upon the child reaching the age of 18, or if enrolled full-time in high school, until the child completes high school (but not past the age of 19)--whichever is later. Alimony is not affected by the termination of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.