Hialeah, FL asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: How can i defend myself when it comes to false reports to child support in another state?

Myself and my sons mother has a arrangement when it comes to child support without the courts but because she assisted on trying to get health insurance from the state .she called me and told me that she was going to do so because the state is sending her letters stating that they will take our son off of the insurance unless she puts me on child support and at this point i don't know what else to do because i have been sending my son funds every month and both of us are working i have even told her that i will put him under my insurance and she rejected me she also denied my sons credentials for me to do so

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your son's mother has a difficult choice to make. If she accepts state assistance, the state will seek child support from you - and hopefully she disclosed to the state that she receives payments from you, otherwise she could be liable for criminal welfare fraud.

You, on the other hand, don't have much of a choice at this point. I hope you have kept records of payment, and I hope the guideline amount of support isn't much higher than what you are already paying. From your end, instead of paying her directly, you would be sending payment to the state.

This is one of the significant downsides of doing things without the court's involvement. It leaves you exposed down the road and hoping she's been honest with everyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.