Keller, TX asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Texas

Q: Wife abandoned home, what should I do for a divorce?

Hello, I am a father of 2 children (7 and 13). My wife and I have been married almost 8 years. We have had difficulties like most marriages. About 7 weeks ago we had a disagreement and she left and has not returned. I have not heard from her or have seen her since. None of her friends or family claim to either. It’s just me at home with the children and I am juggling work, bills, and taking care of them. What are my options as a husband and father to protect my rights and file for a divorce and custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Under the circumstances, you might want to consider filing a missing persons report with the police. In order to get a divorce, she'll have to be served with a citation, so you'll need to know where she is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.