Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: I'm a disabled renter who resides in a building that has been sold for taxes and the deed has been submitted to the cour

It was sold over 2yrs ago and I just found out, now the person claiming to own the property STILL wants rent and is telling me information that I know isn't true, what should I do

1 Lawyer Answer
Erik K Jacobs
Erik K Jacobs
  • Rockford, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If the tax buyer has just recently applied for a deed to the property with the court, then the previous owner still "owns" the property until the court deeds it to the tax buyer. When you say "person claiming to own the property" I'm not sure if you mean the person holding the tax deed or the person whose interest is about to be terminated. If you're talking about the person who is about to lose the home, maybe contact the tax buyer and see if they will continue to rent to you after they obtain the deed. this would solve your immediate problem of having a place to stay. Without more details, I don't know if the current owner can "redeem" the taxes to keep the home. I suppose that if they still own the property, they can claim rent until the time the new owner obtains a deed. If you fail to pay him and he still owns the property, he can still file an action to evict you for non-payment of rent or perhaps a small claims action for rent later on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.