Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: I need to know whether to continue to pay rent where I live cause it was sold for back taxes and I'm disabled...

It was sold almost a month prior to us moving in

1 Lawyer Answer
Erik K Jacobs
Erik K Jacobs
  • Rockford, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First off, I'd need a little more information. Were the taxes sold? If so, you would continue to pay rent to the registered owner. The owner can always redeem the taxes by paying the arrearage and interest. Perhaps a call to the County treasurer's office would be in order. In my county they will tell you if taxes were sold and the amount required to redeem. If they were sold, the tax buyer has to wait at least two years after first purchasing the delinquent taxes before applying to the Court for a tax deed to the property.

Did a tax buyer obtain a tax deed? If so, then they would be the new owner of the property and you would pay that person or entity rent. Oftentimes people get the two concepts confused. You can always go to the recorder's office and obtain a copy of the last deed of record which would show who the true owner of the property is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.