Kennebunk, ME asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Maine

Q: I’ve been staying at my mother’s apartment, temporarily. She and her neighbor, across the hall, both in their 80’s, were

cordial, but not close. It was revealed, without a doubt, this neighbor placed a false complaint to the state’s elderly abuse hotline naming me as the culprit. Last week, we woke early to welcome a caseworker and police investigator into the apartment. They both explained,“we get many calls out of retaliation or misunderstanding”. I had no idea what was occurring. The “caller” obviously must be mentally or physically ill, to make such a complaint. However, both my mother and I remain mortified and embarrassed. My mother is furious and wants to move. This situation could have gone seriously wrong. Do we have any type of recourse? Is there anything I should do to protect myself in the future? I believe the case is closed, unfortunately it’s invading my thoughts and keeps me awake at night. Do you have advice? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Maine attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In a general textbook sense, it's possible the situation could be characterized as one involving defamation, where false statements result in someone suffering damages to their dignitary interests. But from a practical standpoint, law firms could be reluctant to handle such situations on a contingency basis in the same manner as they would physical injury cases such as car accidents (aside from the issue of how certain torts are defined in Maine - tort causes of action are not necessarily defined by the same textbook elements nationwide - only a local attorney could advise meaningfully there). I'm sorry for the ordeal this has caused you. One option is reach out to Maine attorneys who would be in a better position to outline your options, and how practical or feasible those options would be. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.