Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Elder Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Maine Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Maine on
Q: I’ve been staying at my mother’s apartment, temporarily. She and her neighbor, across the hall, both in their 80’s, were

cordial, but not close. It was revealed, without a doubt, this neighbor placed a false complaint to the state’s elderly abuse hotline naming me as the culprit. Last week, we woke early to welcome a caseworker and police investigator into the apartment. They both explained,“we get many calls out... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 5, 2021

A Maine attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In a general textbook sense, it's possible the situation could be characterized as one involving defamation, where false statements result in someone suffering damages to their dignitary interests. But from a... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for Maine on
Q: My wife and I live in Maine. My name is not on the deed to our home only hers. Can her family have me removed if she die

My wife and I live in Maine. My name is not on the deed to our home only hers. Can her family have me removed if she died?

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Feb 22, 2021

More facts are needed to answer this question, but assuming upon your wife’s death, title to the home will pass to someone other than you, then yes, that person would typically have the right to exclusive possession of the property, which means you could be removed, assuming you do not have an... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Maine on
Q: I am being forced to vacate my residence with 3 days notice, no legal document or reason. My mother owns the structure.

Owned a trailer for 12 years in a seasonal RV park. We violated no RV park rules (posted online). I was accused of theft one town away (returned property/misunderstanding) not arrested or charged with any crime. We're being forced to vacate, no eviction notice, no documentation. Is this legal?... View More

Daniel J. Eccher
Daniel J. Eccher
answered on Jul 18, 2019

I think you should each get your own lawyer. If you (the daughter) have a low income, you may be able to get help from Pine Tree Legal Assistance (they have a great web site: Your mother, if she is over 60, should be able to get help from Legal Services for the Elderly... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Maine on
Q: I’m looking to buy my mother’s house and wanted to know a few legal questions.

I’m buying my Moms house. She is 85 and wants to live with us but the home is small. She is giving me a deal on the home so that I can borrow more money, which she would receive and then gift me back the money so we could put on a second level. The question is, will Medicaid be able to take the... View More

Daniel J. Eccher
Daniel J. Eccher
answered on Apr 25, 2019

On first blush, without knowing the details, I would advise that you and your mother delay this plan until she has consulted with an Elder Law attorney who has experience with Medicaid (known in Maine as “MaineCare”) applications. The situation you described is fraught with the potential to a)... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Probate, Elder Law and Estate Planning for Maine on
Q: Should I contest the amount the state of Maine wants from my deceased aunts estate?

I received a letter in the mail that the state of Maine wants 89,000 from the money left after my aunt passed away.She was in a nursing home but paid a partial amount every month out of her own pocket.The state of Maine covered the rest.The letter states that I can contest this.My question is... View More

Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
answered on Jan 2, 2019

It's not possible to give meaningful guidance with such little information. Are these demands from the state related to Medicaid payments for your aunt's medical care? If not, what is the demand related to? If for medical bills, you would have to compare what your aunt paid, and... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.