Chesapeake, VA asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: My husband is incarcerated and recently had his marijuiuna charged expunged by courts this charge was a enhancement

He has appealed to be released as he now completed his sentencing and is being held solely on the marijuina enhancement conviction which is now expunged due to Prop 207. His appeal was denied ? Is there a similar case law? Do you know what is the process of marijuima being used for enhancement on convictions now that Prop 207 has passed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I do not believe there is any case law on this situation yet. Your husband should work with his attorney. When you state that he "appealed to be released" I presume he appealed to the sentencing court. Now that he has been denied by the Superior Court, he will need to file with an appellate court to establish case law regarding this matter.

I suggest reaching out to the Post-Conviction Clinic at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. This sounds like the kind of case the law school would probably LOVE to be involved with.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.