Henderson, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: If i have been arrested on a drug charge in the past and recently been stopped for a basic traffic stop

does my previous

Charge give the officer probable cause to search my vechicle this time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vonnie Clay Dones III
Vonnie Clay Dones III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Police may search a vehicle if there is probable cause to believe that the car contains evidence of criminal activity, exigent circumstances, or contraband in plain view, but cannot simply search your vehicle because you have a past drug charge. For example, if a car interior smells like marijuana, the police can search the vehicle. Under this exception, the police can search the car trunk or containers where contraband could be found. Another exception is search incident to arrest. For example, if you have a warrant for your arrest, incident to arrest, the officer. The officer may search the suspect, the area within the suspect’s immediate control or reach, and containers within the control or reach of the suspect. If while performing a search incident to arrest an officer finds evidence of another offense, it may justify an additional or more thorough search. You should hire a criminal defense attorney to determine if the evidence can be suppressed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.