Woonsocket, RI asked in Domestic Violence for Rhode Island

Q: My friend has been detained under 3 domestic violence charges.

The court date is in 5 months and it seems the neighbor has pointed their cameras at his front driveway to enforce no contact. After research we found this is legal as the area is deemed public with no expectation of privacy. However the partners statement was made immediately while under distress where much of the situation was left out. The partner is interested in recanting the statement and dropping the no contact order. I understand the best route is for the partner to contact the prosecutor with their grievances on the matter in an attempt to drop the order but we are aware this is out of the victims hands under the concern of manipulation or guilt and regret for a loved one. Which direction do you believe we should go. My friends both only need metal help, no one needs to have their life ruined with felonies. Do you have any suggestions to have this order dropped?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: This public forum is not the place to discuss the details. As much as you want to help, remaining silent is your friend's right. Your friend will be best served by the confidential advice of a licensed attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.