Tucson, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: Arrested for car theft thought he was buying car left him with keys no court date already held 9 days is legal?

He was under the impression he was buying it had written purchase agreement police refused to look at been held for more then 9 days no court no official charges PPPD private party public defender not doing anything will not speak to us or call us though hes released her to is any of this legal whats best course of action?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle Villanueva Skura
Michelle Villanueva Skura
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: While we do not have the specific details of his case, traditionally there is an initial arraignment hearing within 24 hours and a plea of “Not Guilty” is entered on the defendant’s behalf. At the arraignment the Judge determines the terms of the release conditions and the amount needed for bail.

We are sorry to hear that the public defender has not returned your calls. Public Defenders often have years of experience but unfortunately most public defenders are very busy and very limited on time. A competent private attorney will have time to return calls and time to review all of the discovery/evidence and listen to the defendant’s side of events, listening for facts that will help improve the outcome. With so much at stake his “best course of action” is to hire an experienced private attorney with time to focus on his case and work towards the best outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.