Jacksonville, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I Request an extension on a family court date, due to my paid attorney not preparing me for a custody trial?

I am in a fight for custody with my 3 children's paternal grandparents. The have filed an emergency temporary custody order against me based on false allegations. After reaching out to multiple law firms in Iberia parish, and being told they could not help me due to conflict of interest, I found one attorney that would take my case. He has not lived up to any expectations of a family lawyer and has shown little concern for my case. He has not prepared me for an upcoming court date to decide on custody. I don't even know what to expect! I just want a chance to a fair trial and be able to fight for my children! Please reach out to me with some guidance on this matter. I am desperate. Next court date is December 7th.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can ask for a continuance if you or your attorney has a calendar conflict.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.