Florissant, MO asked in Small Claims for Missouri

Q: How can I have ex boyfriend pay me money owed from fixing his car? Can I put a lien on his car title?

I paid more than $10,000 in car parts and still haven't been paid back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You cannot put a lien on his vehicle. You can sue him. Whether that makes sense, however, depends on many factors.

1. Did you have an agreement with him to repay the money? If so, was the agreement oral or written?

2. If you were to sue him, would you be able to collect the judgment? That might depend upon whether you know where he banks or if he works for a company that you can garnish?

3. You put your post under the category of Small Claims. In Missouri, the small claims limit is $5000. To sue for more, you'd need to file in the Associate or Circuit divisions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.