Havertown, PA asked in Copyright for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I create a non-exclusive license for my copyright? Do I need to report it to the copyright office?

An organization wants to use the curriculum I co-authored.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ

A: You should consider copyrighting your product. Your license is a private contract, unless you are transferring full ownership you should not have to register anything.

Consult with an attorney.

Robert Kost agrees with this answer

Robert Kost
Robert Kost pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Think about registering your copyright on the curriculum with the Copyright Office. It provides a number of benefits:

* Statutory damages if your work is infringed

* Presumption of valid ownership.

* Import protection

* Creates a searchable public record (for others seeking to license from you)

* It is a pre-requisite to suit

You can, if you like, record the license agreement with the Copyright Office and here too, there are a number of benefits. These may be outweighed by the fact that what is recorded is available to the public.

Finally, a non-exclusive license can be created by a contract with the licensee. It's best to have a lawyer assist you with this.

Hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.