Broken Arrow, OK asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Alaska

Q: If my grandkids in Michigan are removed from their mother's care, her wish is to have them sent to me in Alaska.

Her wish is to have the kids placed with me and her step-father! What steps would we need to do to make this happen?

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: It sounds like the kids are already in the custody of the state in Michigan. That means you will have to work with their Child Protective Services office (CPS). Ask your daughter for the contact information for the assigned social worker and contact that person to let them know you are requesting placement with you. Michigan can't send a child to another state without the other state's permission, so there's a complicated process that has to occur before the move can be made. You'll need to keep the pressure on the social worker to start that process immediately, and to follow through.

Then you'll need to cooperate fully, providing any information or documentation that's requested without delay. If the CPS social worker doesn't move quickly enough, you may need to hire an attorney in Michigan to find out if court intervention would help. There is an expedited process that requires a court order, and state agencies are never motivated to do all the work required to get that order. You may have other rights under Michigan law, for which you'd need to consult a Michigan attorney with CPS experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.