Kansas City, MO asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas

Q: I rent my home, my 25 year-old lives w/me (he is on the lease). I want him removed from the lease. What are my options?

There are times when I'm in fear of my safety. also, my 73 year-old mother lives with me and he is verbally abusive to us both. i just would like to know what my options are?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Kansas has a protection from abuse process "to provide quick and immediate protection." The Kansas Judicial system has created a one-stop portal website. But if you think your website viewing is being monitored or checked by the person from whom you do not feel safe, you should call 911 to get the most immediate help. Before you access the website, you may want to use a private window (Safari, Firefox) or "incognito window" (Google Chrome) that does not record you web viewing--be sure to close the window when you are done using it. The Kansas Protective Order Portal (kspop.org) will help you get started in the process of seeking a protection order. The kspop.org website gets you plugged into the the system and provides you the necessary access to resources. If you are in fear for your safety, take action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.