Rockdale, TX asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Elder Law for Texas

Q: My husband has early onset Alzheimer's, he is 71 and I am 69. I own property gifted to me as my seperate property.

Can I file transfer on death deed to my children, possibly as a Medicaid asset protection trust devise if he has to go to nursing home?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: There are a few different ways to handle your issue. The simplest is a "Life Estate" where you deed the property back to yourself for the remainder of your life, then it automatically goes to the person you wish to obtain the property after you die.

This is great if you have a low budget or if you do not want to disturb any other assets.

There are other more complicated ways, but they get complicated and often expensive.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.