Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can a person file a child abuse complaint and go with the DCF worker to do their investigation?

A DCF worker came with the person making the complaint in order to get custody of the child. The complaints were lies. It was even information that wouldve been impossible for them to know if it had been true due to the fact they live in miami and I live in Lakeland plus they never had any communication with my household to claim to know anything about.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, they can.

The reason they do it is children will be much more at ease with a relative present, especially when they go to pick up an abused child.

You should also know that DCF receives complaints about possible child abuse from many sources, not just the person you are angry with. In fact, the DCF receives more complaints from neighbors than from relatives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.