North Beach, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: Modify a custody agreement because of medical issues?

Currently, my ex husband and I have joint custody of our 2 daughters. It's been in place for 6 years, and has not been a problem, until now. We cannot agree on a certain medical issue and there is no agreement in sight. I need to change the custody agreement to me having primary custody with the ability to make any medical decisions without his consent if it's in the best interest of our children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need to either (1) come to an agreement with the other paent for a protocol or process to address and make decisions like this, e.g., sign an agreement to use a neutral parenting coordinator to act as intermediary to try and reach consensus, or agree to mandatory mediation sessions -- two sessions of up to 2 hours each, parties to split costs of mediator-- prior to going to court or prior to one parent exercising tie-breaker authority; or (2) file a motion for modification of custody and seek to be awarded the tie-breaker authority over these impasses. The court order might also incorporate some version of option 1 above. You can start with the motion to modify and settle at any time up until the court hearing. Court takes time, so you will not get an immediate order to address an immediate medical issue without filing the motion seeking emergency relief based on immediate and irreparable harm to your child if a decision is not made at once. You will need a lawyer for that. And it is not going to be cheap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.