Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I want to make for my son in-low I130- while he exceeded 18 but when I married his father was under 18 years old

I married my husband since a year and made for him I130 ( still under approval), and now I want to make for my son in-low another I130, his son already now exceeded 18 years old but when I married he was under 18 at this time.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: OK so I think you are confused by the terms son-in-law and stepson. If you married your stepson’s father prior to the stepson’s 18th birthday, then it is possible that you could Sponsor your stepson for his green card. More facts would be needed to know before a final determination is made.

Raymond  Lahoud
Raymond Lahoud
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA

A: More information is needed to better assist. Nonetheless, one important question is whether the beneficiary is a step child. If your step son was under 18 when you were married, you may have options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.