Asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: Judge gave me a set aside for homestead as surviving spouse. No kids and an old will all goes to A&M. What am I to pay?

Everything that I have read shows that I have to pay taxes and upkeep on home. The home has no mortgage. I am being told that I have to pay homeowner's insurance. What is the truth? This is in Texas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It sounds like you have a life estate. Life tenants must maintain the house, which should include an insurance policy to protect the remaindermen in the event that the house is damaged. If there was a fire, for example, you'd be responsible to pay for the damages. An insurance policy is cheaper.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.