New Baltimore, MI asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan

Q: Michigan UIA requesting money back after paying unemployment claim.

I filed for a PUA claim using the reason "independent contractor experienced a significant reduction in usual or customary services" as I did work for the local school.

When I went to re-certify earlier this year they asked for proof of 2019 income and I gave them my 1099.

I got a letter this week saying they denied my claim from march 2020 retroactively.

"After review, it is redetermined that you are not able to establish a claim for additional PUA. You do not meet the PUA requirements because: You were not employed in 2019 or 2020 immediately prior to the pandemic. Therefore you have not established that you became unemployed, underemployed, unable or unavailable to work as a direct result of covid-19"

I missed a message from a few weeks ago (before the above determination) that said "Have you worked and earned wages in employment or self-employment between January 1, 2020, and March 15, 2020?"

If I give proof of self-employment in January can I appeal successfully?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Possibly. You'll need to read the notice you received closely to determine what steps are needed at this point. You may also wish to seek the assistance of an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.