Asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: my brother owes 26,000 on child support and the kid not his. How does he clear this up where he owes nothing to a child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I think the better question for your brother to answer is what has he done to clear this up. It takes some time to become $26,000 behind on child support, and it was during that time he should have been doing something. If there is a child support order, he was named the legal father to the child somehow; either 1) he was married to the mother when the child was born, 2) he signed an acknowledgement of paternity, or 3) he received notice to establish paternity and didn't answer, resulting in a default, or did answer by submitting to a DNA test. What he needs to do now is file a revocation of paternity - hopefully he is not time barred by now. Otherwise he will remain, for child support purposes, the child's legal father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.