Asked in Tax Law for Alabama

Q: Can I press charges for my husband using my SSN for taxes after separation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You should first go to and get a transcript of the tax return for the year in question. Next, contact the IRS and schedule an appointment at the Taxpayer Customer Service office closest to your residence, and ask a representative to review the situation. Each individual person has the right to decide between any available legal options for tax status on a particular year's tax return. Your husband is not legally permitted to sign your name to a federal tax return without a signed IRS Power of Attorney or Power of Attorney drafted and signed by you in accordance with the laws of your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.