Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: How can i get my child support payments lowered?

When i went to court for this i had been unemployed for 6 months and they went by what i used to make so I'm ordered to pay almost 400 a month and i haven't gotten a job since then BC i was shot in a robbery and I'm left physically disabled idk wtd BC after i was ordered to pay my son and his mom moved in with me and i paid all the bills bought him all his clothing and wte else he needed for like a whole year she never reported the move to court just went on like nothing am i obligated to pay for that time period?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can hire an attorney to file for a reduction in child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.