Saint Augustine, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Child dependency. Protection against dv. All dv cases dismissed no info.

My wife and I were going through a divorce that was rough. She filed an injunction to remove me from the house and gain control of the equity. Eventually her and I were caught with each other consensually. I was violated on the injunction and incarcerated for 22 days and received probation. During this time (prior to conviction) she voluntarily dismissed the injunction. 4 days later CPS filed a petition for dependency regarding our three children. There has been nothing proven as far as the allegations go. However my wife’s mother was given temp. custody. The dcf agents video recorded my children without my mother in law or my wife and I present in the room. Is this legal? Can they use this is court? If there is no supervision by a legal guardian can dcf utilize this recording against us? I’m afraid of them leading my young children into admitting to things that haven’t happened due to their lack of understanding for what is going on. Children are malleable and easily led astray.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: DCF recorded a video of your children; what does it show? If it's relevant, yes, they can use it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.