Papillion, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: My child support order was 7 years ago, 6 years ago we bought a house and moved in together. Can we close the case?

We live in nebraska and both agree on the matter. We live together, share the bills and raise the child together. We no longer want to have child support taken out of check and deposited into our account. how can we close the child support case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It depends on whether the State or public assistance is involved in your children and your lives. If the State isn't a party to the case and there is no public assistance involved, you should be able to file a motion with the Court to terminate the child support and no one will likely object to such.

If the State is a party to the case or there is public assistance involved, then you can still file your motion to terminate but the State may try to block the child support from being terminated, depending on the circumstances. If there is public assistance being used and the parents aren't both showing as residing in the public assistance household, you would likely need to get such records updated with the public assistance office before you could move forward with the termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.