Southfield, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: My father died at age 17 I was in school unbenoced to me he was getting VA benefits from a honorable discharge. Not me.

He didn't put me down as a child which I'm his first born and married. The other two just was his black sheep .I found out though his ignorance or whatever I could gave gotten school money and from 1996 he never claimed me. Then ar 24 it cuts off. Dont they owe me his va benefits even being I gave his last name on certificates even gof played from my iharidence 2000 I 16 years. Bug how can VA give me back pay since I'm legitimately owed. They could see he had a active support case. It's the like to sue my rich aunt for making me the next of kin no able to control over my dad's trailer he did nothing for me. But the took my 2000 ar 2 should of been 20k by 16 years old 14 years it gain 200 bucks noo.. they took it out of a CD. My cousin had private school and before they could replace I token it out three ppl on 2000 sounds wrong. She stop private schools after. I was excommunicated. I'd like to sue for both their 500.000 in davusbrug mi and waterford at least

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The VA does not owe you anything. The servicemember - your father - could elect to either use it himself or determine which child, or even his spouse, could use it. It does not matter that you are the first born. And GI Bill benefits are for education, and so an active support case would not affect the VA.

Even if he died without using them, that's pretty much lost money at this point - particularly if you are not currently in school. There have been a lot of changes to the GI Bill, especially since 1996, so a lot of what you hear about it now is likely not applicable to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.