Glenview, IL asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Rental termination fee

I need help with a rental termination fee. I used to live in San Francisco. I was unable to pay my rent and came over to Chicago to seek affordable housing and good schools for my kids. My previous landlord sent me an invoice of around 12,000$ because of finishing my rental prematurely. What should I do in this case?

My rental agreement was for one year and I stayed for 3 months until I decided to make the move.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need an attorney to look at your rental agreement in order to properly advise you on the specifics of your case. Generally, a tenant is responsible for the full term of the lease. However, the landlord is required to "mitigate damages", that is, try to re-rent the unit once the tenant has left.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.