North Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: Other parent got Custody and is asking for my copies of the sos and birth certificate do I have to give them.. in Utah.

Other parent got Custody and is asking for my copies of the sos and birth certificate do I have to give them in Utah not nv

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You should provide copies but I see no reason you should have to surrender your originals. If your ex needs originals, they can request duplicates. The documents themselves belong to you but you should assist your ex where possible. Denying access to copies of the documents is not going to win you any points with the Court should it become an issue and generally does not promote cooperation with your ex in your coparenting obligations.

If copies would suffice for your needs and it would be helpful to provide your ex the originals, I would propose that would be the right thing to do. Again, the two of you need to cooperate wherever possible to do what is right for the children involved regardless of any lingering animosity. Divorce is always difficult, but the further you get from it hopefully the less contentious your dealings with your ex will become.

Merry Christmas! May your 2022 be filled with good times and happy memories.

Chase Van Oostendorp agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.