West Point, MS asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: How much time is he looking at if it was a year later after he got caught

My husband and one of his friends got caught spotlighting and a gun was in the truck. They took the gun gave it back to his dad. He went to court, paid his fine and that was it, a year later the feds got him for it. He had already went to court over it .what's going to happen

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: There really is no telling, without knowing the exact charges on the federal side. Even though he may have paid a fine in state court, if there is a violation of federal law, then the relevant federal agency can also pursue it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.