Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: Two years has passed since my brother did. Nothing has been done. I can't get any information from siblings. Help

My brother passed two years ago in January. My bipolar, control freak sister says she is the executior. Nothing has been done, she says she has a lawyer but won't tell me who. No documents have been filed in public records. A company contacted me stating that I am a beneficiary of the estate.

I would like to contest my sister as the executior. Can I? His home has unpaid taxes since his death. The list goes on.

Any advice. Can I find out who the lawyer is, if there is one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your father's estate, if your sister probated the Will, is a matter of public record in the Register of Wills for the county in which your father lived at the time of his death. if your sister probated the Will a copy will be in the Register of Wills office along with an Petition for Probate which will give an estimate of the amount of the Estate, and if your sister did hire an attorney his or her information will be on the Petition. If nothing is at the Register of Wills Office you can file a Petition to be appointed as Administrator of the Estate (if you do not have a copy of the Will) and that will get things started

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.