Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: Babies father is refusing to pay child support and has now left the Country on vacation it's been 3 months with no pay

We settled on an amount because he was supposedly not working and I found out he is working for his brother and getting paid cash/under the table. He will not answer when I ask about the payments and has now left the Country on vacation. It's been a lot of lies about legal status and employment and I found out the truth after we settled is there anything I can do about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you want a party to be court-ordered to pay child support, you can file an action with the Court to establish a child support order. Once the child support is court-ordered, you can use the legal methods available to try to collect the child support. This includes wage garnishment, passport denial, tax intercept, among many other tools, depending on the situation. It is much more difficult to collect child support from some than others. It is often more difficult to collect child support when a person works for cash under the table or is residing in a foreign country.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.