Springfield, MO asked in Social Security for Missouri

Q: How can I get my money from my SSA attorney that owes the overage from the SSA amount held back to pay them?

I have an SSDI case that was won and the SSA held out a percentage of the back pay to cover attorney fees. The amount that was held over supersedes the maximum amount they are able to take out. I've been waiting over a year for the overage and the attorney continues to tell me the SSA has not paid them yet. What am I able to do to speed up this process - and what other actions do I have to get my money that is owed. I've called every 3 months for the last year and they continue to tell me the SSA has not paid them yet. I'm done waiting do I have legal options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maria Elena Bermudez
Maria Elena Bermudez
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Many times Social Security is waiting for something specific and just hasn't received it. A year is a very long long time for you to be waiting so you'll want to find out directly from SSA what they need.

Your best bet in this situation is to contact Social Security directly. You can find the number to your local office on this website by putting in your zip code: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.