Fayetteville, NC asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: I experienced medical malpractice in 2018 when I gave birth to my son who is now showing signs of behavioral issues.

I walked into my local hospital ER 28 weeks pregnant. I walked in the ER doors and told the nurse my name, bday, the fact that I was 28 wks pregnant, bleeding and in pain. They were busy but she acknowledged all I said, printed out a wristband an had me sit in the waiting room for 7 hours like this until my water broke. A nurse came up to me in amazement asking if I was pregnant I told her yes obviously only for her to reply that they have no prenatal care whatsoever at that hospital. My water broke in the waiting room when I could have easily went to another hospital location and prevented him coming so early. The ambulance took 2hrs to get there an on the way to another hospital the guy had to shove his fists inside pushing the baby's head and body back in my uterus. I felt like I lost my life twice in the back of the ambulance my son was in NICU for over 40 days and I am now seeing signs of behavior problems that I'm certain are from this. He is 3 1/2 . What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. To answer your question, you could reach out to med mal attorneys in North Carolina to discuss in detail. If a law firm felt there could be grounds for a viable case, they could retrieve the records and review with medical professionals. Statutes of limitations and allowances for infancy/discovery differ by jurisdiction - only a North Carolina attorney can advise on these. You could reach out to law firms to try to arrange a free initial consult. Many firms offer virtual consults these days. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.