Clifton Park, NY asked in Child Custody and Divorce for New York

Q: What records do I need to change after divorce granting me my maiden name back?

I recently got a judgment of divorce in the mail, and it states I can resume the use of my maiden name which I fully intended to do. have a family court file and family court order awarding me custody of my son way before the divorce. The divorce stated to continue to use that family court order. Do I have to go to the family court and have my name changed in the system for the family file and a new order produced reflecting my new name on my custody order since the custody order was issued in my married name ? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You do not need to change your name. The divorce judgment gives you the power to do so if you want to. The judgment of divorce is a name change order itself. You do not need to go back to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.