Schenectady, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: NYS -speeding ticket was brought down to lower issue. Due to COVID, I can mail in my plea, should I guilty or go trial

I got ticket speeding in work zone with 6 points. Now I have received info back and they are offering to lower it to parking in front of fire hydrant and 0 points. Do I say guilty and accept or say innocent and wait for court date? They sent plea via mail due to COVID pandemic.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends on your situation. Do you have a valid defense such as you were not the operator? Assuming that the speeding charge (6 points) is valid (meaning that the officer has proper training to assess your speed visually, etc) and you are likely to lose the case, then taking the plea offer may save you money and time. 1202(2) has the max fine of $400 and surcharge of $25. It's a very expensive parking violation. If you get convicted of the original speeding in NY, you will be facing not only a fine and surcharge but also the additional charge imposed by the DMV called Driver Assessment Fee (DAF). A lot of people don't realize that DAF exists or is an additional fee on top of the fine itself, and they often fail to pay and end up getting their driver license or privilege suspended in NY (and of course they keep driving without knowing and getting additional (more serious) tickets soon or later).

If you have an attorney, s/he may ask for a different section with no point for a lesser fine, but 1202(2) can be a good offer depending on your priorities in your life compared to going to trial on the speeding charge where you are likely to lose.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.