Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Alabama

Q: My dad is downsizing and is planning to leave me and my fiance his fully paid off house. We need any advice to get start

Should we inherit or transfer deed into name and just pay the property taxes?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: A Living Trust would be one of the best simple ways for your father to set up his estate plan. The real estate would need to be transferred to the Trust and the documents would most certainly need to be prepared by an attorney. An Attorney who practices in the area of estate planning and tax law can also advise you as to whether your father's estate is under the applicable federal and state estate tax thresholds, which may require a more complex estate plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.