Roanoke, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: Am I obligated to pay medical bill for child if I’m the non custodial parent without a child support order?

I was recently the physical custodian. Son decided to move with dad. Dad has never carried insurance or paid any medical bills in the past. The current bill is the dads girl friends name. And she keeps asking for the money and threatening court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Generally speaking, if there is no order requiring you to pay for the health care costs, then there is no obligation to do so. If the child's father seeks court assistance, he could get an order that requires payment of health care costs that are not reimbursed by an insurance plan. However, the court can't apply the requirements retroactively.

If someone other than a custodian or legal guardian of the child incurs costs, that is usually between them and the provider. It doesn't sound like the girlfriend would have any basis for requiring you to make this payment.

However, if you bring your child to the doctor, you should make sure you don't list someone else as the responsible party without a written agreement or court order allowing you to do so.

In order to fully answer your question, an attorney would need the specific details of your case, which should be discussed in a confidential setting.

Please feel free to contact my office for more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.